OPERTATION THETARE TECHNICIAN
Operation Theatre Technology
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is a two-year Diploma level program. The course is designed for aspirants aiming to pursue a career in the healthcare department. An Operation Theatre Technician works closely under the guidance of senior doctors and technicians. Their knowledge and understanding of medical equipment, system and various relevant tools are exceptional.
The Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology acquaints students with the fundamentals of OTT such as various diagnostic equipment, ventilators, C-arms and much more. One learns the intricacies of procedures and processes in Operation Theatre. The training concentrates on providing the skills and competency. The main role of an Operation Theatre Technician is to assist surgeons, doctors and perform procedures.
An Operation Theatre Technician is the expert they are an important part of the doctor’s team comprising of other surgeons, assistant doctors, attendants, nurses and other allied health care professionals.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Eligibility Criteria
Following is the eligibility criteria for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology:
- The candidate aspiring to pursue Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology must have cleared 10+2 examination in Science stream from a recognized board/university.
- The candidate must have secured a minimum of 40% or more in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- The admission process in most colleges and universities is done on the basis of merit obtained in 10+2. Some colleges do conduct a special entrance examination to grant admission. The admission process for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology varies from college to college.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Admission Process
The candidate must qualify the eligibility criteria in order to secure admission in Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology.
Below mentioned are some popular admission processes for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology course:
- Entrance Based Admission
- The candidate needs to appear on the state level or university level examination.
- After appearing for the test, the conducting body of the entrance test will issue the merit list of students displaying the scores and ranks obtained in the entrance examination.
- According to the merit list, the selected candidates will be then called for the selection process. Which usually includes a personal interview, group discussion or both.
- Based on the overall performance of the candidate in the group discussion and personal interview the candidates are shortlisted for the seat allotment.
- Merit-based Admission
- Firstly, the candidate needs to apply for the Diploma and appear for the selection process of the college.
- The selection process of college may include sitting for a personal interview or a group discussion round.
- Before shortlisting the candidates, many colleges issue a merit list of candidates for the selection process.
- The candidate will be given admission for the diploma course based on their interaction in a personal interview, group discussion and past academic records.
- Counselling-based Admission
- This is one of the most common and widely used admission processes. This process is followed in both the entrance based and merit-based admission processes.
- The qualified students under the counselling-based admission process are called for counselling sessions. The counselling sessions are conducted by the expert faculty to gauge the competency and skills of the candidates.
- On the basis of their merits, ranks and interaction in the counselling session, the students are granted admission to the college/university.
Note: Each college/university have a distinct admission process. A candidate must do comprehensive research and study the admission process in detail before applying for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Syllabus
Following is the syllabus of the Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology.
General Human Anatomy
General Human Physiology
Introduction to Anaesthesia
Pathology and microbiology
Principles of Surgery and its practice
Introduction to Operation theatre
Operation Theatre Responsibilities
General Surgical Procedures
Sterilisation and Disinfection
Medical and Blood Transfusion
Medical Ethics and Handling of Patients
Pre and Post op-patient care
Monitoring and Use of surgical Instruments
Universal Safety Precautions and Procedures
Types of Medications and Premedication
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Career Options and Job Prospects
The Healthcare industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors. There are tremendous job prospects and career opportunities are available. Pursuing a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology can enable you to give your career the desired growth and direction.
Some of the job profiles that one can pursue after the completion of a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology includes:
- Lab Technician
- Operation Theatre Technician
- Anaesthesia Technician
- Assistant Operation theatre technician
- Assistant lab technician
The job prospects can be found in different industries and institutes. Some of the popular areas that one can work at after completing a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology include:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Government Medical Laboratories
- Private Medical Laboratories
- Pathology Labs
- Medical Equipment Manufacturing industries