Medical lab technician
Medical Lab Technician
Introduction: Any Medical treatment starts with the assessment, testing and diagnosis of the disease. Identification of the problem is essential. The tests play a vital role in finding the exact problem. Medical Lab technician is crucial. The professional is responsible for the study of the lab tests and their investigation. Without their analysis and scrutiny, it will be difficult to proceed with the treatment. Hence, Medical lab technicians must have a comprehensive knowledge of medicine as well as health sciences. They must be skilled, trained, qualified and certified.
Aspirants having a keen interest in medical science can enrol for a professional lab technician course after 12th science. The medical lab technician course introduces one to the intricacies of medical sciences, technologies, the study of elements and much more.
Medical lab technology is the allied branch of health care. It involves clinical laboratory investigation for diagnosing various diseases. It involves collecting the sample and then studying it further with the aid of modern laboratory testing machines.
Lab technician courses after 12th
The lab technician courses provide one in-depth knowledge of medical science, medical laboratories, diagnostic techniques and high-end technologies. The introduction of specialized investigation and computerized testing equipment has led to the immense growth and development of laboratories. The professional laboratories are expanding their reach and multiplying their presence. Hence, there is a considerable demand for expert lab technicians.
A laboratory technician performs his/her duties in various disciplines such as:
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Blood Bank & Immunohematology
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Molecular Medicine
- Forensic Medicine and
- Experimental Medicine
An MLT (Medical Lab Technology) course after 12th acquaints students with the intricacies of medical laboratory and testings. It covers all the vital aspects of medical laboratory science.
More about Medical Lab Technician
A medical lab technician is the medical laboratory professional who is responsible for performing haematological, chemical, microscopic, microbiological diagnostic and analyses of body fluids. It includes investigation of body fluids such as urine, sputum, blood, cerebrospinal fluid, synovial fluid and other specimens.
Following are the courses one can opt for after the 12th:
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Science (DMLT/DMLS): This is a two-year course. The course is extensive and also includes 6 months of internship. The eligibility criteria for DMLT/DMLS is 10+2 Science with PCB/PCM/PCMB from a recognised board or university. The student must have secured a minimum of 45-50% in order to pursue Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Science.
The course framework for Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Science is extensive. It includes subjects like anatomy, physiology, clinical microbiology, haematology and much more.
- Sc./ Bachelor’s in Medical Laboratory Technology/ Science (BMLT/BMLS): This is a three-year course. The course is extensive and also includes 6 months of internship. The eligibility criteria for DMLT/DMLS is 10+2 Science with PCB/PCM/PCMB from a recognised board or university. The student must have secured a minimum of 45-50% in order to pursue Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Science.
The course introduces students to the fundamental of medical laboratory technology. The course curriculum covers a host of topics and subjects including histopathology, cytopathology, blood banking, bacteriology, virology and much more.
The admission for the above-mentioned courses is on a merit basis or entrance examination. The admission criteria and process may vary from university to university.
Roles and responsibilities of a Medical Lab Technician
The roles and responsibilities of a Medical Lab Technician after completing a lab technician course includes:
- Collection of specimens like blood, urine, stool, sputum, semen, tissues, and body fluids for various biochemical, microbiological, pathological, blood banking, hematological investigations etc.
- Providing Accurate diagnosis for proper treatment
- Control the development of contagious diseases
- Perform complex protein and nucleic acid testing on human cell samples
- Early disease detection- by making cultures of body fluid and tissue samples to determine the presence of bacteria, virus, fungi etc
- Performing investigations to meet the different purpose of diagnosis
- Collect, type and crossmatch blood; preparing the required components for transfusions
- Maintaining test records and preparation of statistics
- Testing and certifying medicines, anti-sera, drugs, reagents etc
- Performing Research work
Lab technician course Job prospects
Post the completion of a professional course in Medical Laboratory Technology. One can get access to multiple career opportunities. The skilled medical lab technician can work in the following areas:
- Central and State government hospitals/ health institution
- Private hospitals/ clinics/ health institutions
- Research institutions like CSIR, ICMR, ICAR, BARC, etc
- Autonomous and other bodies like AIIMS, PGI Chandigarh, Red Cross Blood Bank etc.
- Clinical/Diagnostic and research laboratories
Some job posts that one can serve includes:
- Technical Officer/ Senior Technical Officer (MLS)/ Chief Technical Officer (MLS)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist/ Deputy Technical Manager/ Technical Manager/Clinical Laboratory Demonstrator
- Assistant Professor/ Associate Professor/ Additional Professor/ Professor
- Deputy Quality Manager/ Quality Manager
- Director Laboratory Services/ HOD
Medical Laboratory Technology is playing a significant role in the field of medical sciences. The scope of medical laboratory science is huge. It is a rewarding career choice.
For those who are interested and have an inclination for medical laboratory science, MLT is one of the best career choices for them.